Thursday, May 27, 2010

Online - Quebec Catholic Parish Records!

I've recently discovered the online Quebec Catholic Parish Records at www.familysearch.org.  What a find!  They are not indexed, but are browseable and grouped by years.  I've found the baptism record for James Carey, great-greatgrandfather of my son, who emigrated to the U.S. about 1890! The records are written in French, which I have a basic working knowledge of...but I've been lucky enough to correspond with a gentlemen who has very kindly translated for me anything I can't quite make out.

I've also been in touch with the Chief of Police of Lincoln, New Hampshire, a very nice man who is also a genealogy buff.  He has been kind enough to send me a photo of James Carey, taken some time in the 1930s when James was in his 60's.  The Lincoln PD will be celebrating an anniversary in September, and the Chief has promised to send me any more info they may dig up on James Carey, the town's first Police Chief.

A couple of women have also emailed me recently regarding the Carey's - this must be a "Carey Year" !


Now I have to start recording the info I've found.  Am trying Legacy Family Tree instead of PAF, mainly because of their separate, searchable tabs including "To Do" lists, which I think will be very handy.

More later...

No comments: